One hundred and ten degrees of longitude separate St. Petersburg, Russia, and Tokyo, Japan. For eight weeks in 2005, I'll be crossing this large chunk of the world solo. I've set up this blog so that family and friends can keep track of my whereabouts, my activities, and my well-being. It might also be useful for someone planning a similar trip. Please bookmark this page so you can check up on me at your leisure.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

8 weeks

Well, that time went by quickly. I've crossed the 110 lines of longitude between St. Petersburg and Tokyo, and had a lot of fun doing it. I've met some wonderful, generous, weird, and intriguing people. I've shot 33 rolls of film and some digital on top of that. I've learned things about myself that I probably wouldn't have learned in the comfortable and familiar context of home. I've had my eyes opened to ways of life vastly different from my own. I've seen things that broke my heart and things that inspired me.

I only have a few minutes here at the internet place before I need to go pick up my luggage at Kimi Ryokan and take a train to Narita airport.

I'll definitely be writing some follow-up entries for the blog after getting home, although probably not right away and not on a daily basis. I'm starting my new job on the 17th, and naturally my focus will be on work and on visiting with family and friends. I'll post some pictures on the blog as soon as possible -- the digital ones are no problem, but it may be a while before I have all my film developed because of the great expense.

My toe seems to be doing better today.

Take care, readers. I'll be writing just as soon as the dust settles. I'll be seeing some of you before too long, and that thought makes me very happy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jess said...

In this moment, after reading what is most likely your last post before you fly back to Canada, I am so proud of you, your accomplishments and your desire to see the world in new and interesting ways. Although I could not come along, this blog has kept me close to you, for which I am so thankful.

I love you so much and I eagerly await your return,

Jess

12:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaron, you've done a great job with this blog! I looked forward to reading of your adventures each day and it was fun "traveling" along with you.

Have a safe trip home,

Tim

9:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home